We have been developing and improving our coating expertise for over 50 years, which has led us to be the leading experts in optical coatings from UV to longwave IR using advanced technologies from low energy e-beam evaporation to dense and amorphous ion beam sputtered coatings. Our coating engineers and technicians create repeatable, precision processes for off-the-shelf quality optics to spectrally complex custom optics to meet and exceed project performance, quality, budget, and on-time delivery.
Our coating capabilities are one of the key aspects that make us world leaders in custom optical components and assemblies.
Key Differentiating Capabilities:
- High Laser Damage Threshold: We are the world class leaders in creating optical coatings with high laser damage thresholds. Our IBS and APS coatings and precision fabrication technologies combined results in industry leading LDT performance under a variety of laser fluence circumstances.
- Superior Surface Quality: Controlling the purity of coating materials and cleanliness of substrates before, during, and after the coating process allows for the creation of surfaces that are nearly defect-free. We utilize consistent processes and have Class 100 and 1000 cleanrooms to ensure the absolute minimal contamination from airborne and molecular contaminants.
- Environmental Robust: Our durable, optical coatings can withstand extreme environmental conditions from humidity, salt spray, to temperature extremes and fluctuations. Adhesion and durability testing are performed per MIL-C-48497a.
- Electrically Conductive Coatings and Bus-Barring: This coating option is available to enhance the performance of heated window assemblies for demisting and de-icing -- a critical requirement in the defense and aerospace industry.
- Mask Coating Technology: We have developed advanced masking techniques for precision placement of coatings.
- Deep UV Coatings: Our semiconductor customers depend on us for our high-performance deep UV coatings for polarizers, waveplates, and beamsplitter cubes. We have superior coating durability and long lifetimes.
- Low Absorption Coatings: Our low absorption coatings are key to operations performed in a vacuum to avoid thermal build up and eliminate laser and equipment damage.
- Process Efficiency: Our coating processes are precise, repeatable, and efficient for cost control, production automation, consistent high-quality results, and contamination control.
- High Test Standards: We test to the following criteria and performance specifications: MIL-F-48616 / MIL-C-675C / MIL-STD-810G / ISO-92114 & ISO9022-2/12.
We are experts at each of these 4 different coating technologies. Depending on the optical design specification, we determine the best process for your specific application.
Coating Technologies Comparison Chart
|Thermal EBE||E-Beam IAD||APS||IBS|
|Durability||Good||Very Good||Very High||Very High|
|Smoothness||Good||Good||Very Good||Very Good|
|Wavelength Range||157nm - 2100 nm||190nm - ~ 20microns||250nm - ~ 20microns||266nm - 3500nm|
|Substrate Materials||All Glass||All Glass||All Glass||All Glass|
|Coating Materials||Fluoride||Fluoride, Oxide, Sulphides, Semiconductors (Ge & Si)||Fluoride, Oxide, Sulphides, Semiconductors (Ge & Si)||Oxide|
|Environment Sensitivity||Not Very Stable||Stable||Very Stable||Very Stable|
CVI Metallic Coatings
|Coating Design||Wavelength Range||Reflectivity|
|Vacuum UV Aluminum (VUVA)||145 - 195 nm||R>85% at 157 nm by design|
|Deep UV Aluminum (DUVA)||185 - 1200 nm
designed for 185-250 nm
|R>90% at 193 nm
Ravg>85% 400 - 1200 nm
|Enhanced Alunimum (EAV)||450 - 650 nm||R≥92% at 450 - 650 nm|
|Protected Silver||400 nm – 20 um||Ravg≥95% at 400 nm – 20 um|
|Protected Gold||650 nm – 20 um||Ravg≥95.5% at 650 - 1700nm
Ravg≥98% 2 - 20 um